The estimated mean Social Security disablement payment for a disabled idiosyncratic receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is $1,280.42 per month, according to the June 2021 figures from the Social Security Administration (SSA). These benefits are based connected mean beingness earnings, not connected household income oregon however terrible an individual’s disablement is.
If you’ve kept your yearly Social Security statement, you tin find what you are apt to person successful the Estimated Benefits section. The full magnitude that a disabled idiosyncratic and their household tin person is astir 150% to 180% of the disabled worker’s benefit. Eligible household members tin see a spouse, divorced spouse, child, disabled child, and/or an big kid disabled earlier property 22. The estimated mean monthly Social Security benefits payable to a disabled worker, their spouse, and 1 oregon much children successful January 2021 is $2,224.
- The full magnitude that a disabled idiosyncratic and their household tin person is astir 150% to 180% of the disabled worker’s benefit.
- While determination are immoderate conditions that the Social Security Administration (SSA) considers truthful terrible that they automatically render an applicant disabled, galore conditions necessitate cautious screening.
- There is simply a mandatory waiting play of 5 months aft your disablement begins earlier you tin commencement receiving benefits.
What Are Social Security Disability Benefits?
Social Security disablement benefits travel from payroll deductions required by the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) to screen the outgo of Social Security benefits such arsenic retirement, arsenic good arsenic spousal and subsister benefits. Some of this funding goes into the Disability Insurance Trust Fund (DI) and pays for disablement benefits.
According to the Social Security website, to suffice for Social Security disablement benefits, you indispensable person worked a definite magnitude of time in jobs covered by Social Security. Generally, you request 40 credits, 20 of which were earned successful the past 10 years, ending with the twelvemonth erstwhile you became disabled. You indispensable besides person a aesculapian information that meets Social Security’s definition of disability.
Social Security Disability Insurance should not beryllium confused with Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which pays benefits to those who person fiscal needs careless of their enactment history. Although these 2 names dependable similar, the qualifications to get the payments and what you mightiness person are precise different.
Social Security Disability Evaluation Process
While determination are immoderate conditions that the Social Security Administration (SSA) considers truthful terrible that they automatically render an applicant disabled, galore conditions necessitate cautious screening, including answering these 5 questions:
- Are you presently working? If you are working, you are not blind, and your net mean much than $1,310 per period successful 2021, past you volition not beryllium considered disabled. If you are not working, oregon if your income falls below Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) limits, determination connected to question two.
- Is your information “severe”? If Social Security determines that your information does not interfere with basal work-related activities, past you volition not beryllium considered disabled. If your information does interfere with basal work-related activities, determination connected to question three.
- Is your information recovered successful the database of disabling conditions? Social Security maintains a list of disabling aesculapian conditions that automatically suffice you arsenic disabled. If your information is not 1 of these, past Social Security volition find if it is terrible capable to qualify. If so, you volition beryllium considered disabled, and your exertion volition beryllium approved. If not, determination connected to question four.
- Can you bash the enactment you did previously? If your information does not interfere with your quality to bash the enactment that you utilized to do, past you volition not beryllium considered disabled. If it does, determination connected to question five.
- Can you bash immoderate different benignant of work? Finally, if you can’t bash the enactment that you did previously, past Social Security volition find whether you tin bash immoderate different benignant of work. If Social Security determines that you tin set to different suitable work—taking into relationship your condition, age, education, erstwhile enactment experience, and different factors—then you volition not beryllium considered disabled, and your assertion volition beryllium denied. If you cannot adjust, past your assertion volition beryllium approved.
In addition, qualifying conditions indispensable beryllium expected to past astatine slightest 1 twelvemonth oregon effect successful death.
There is simply a mandatory waiting play earlier disablement benefits statesman to beryllium dispersed.
When Payments Begin
Many radical judge you person to beryllium disabled for a definite play of clip earlier you tin use for Social Security disablement benefits. That isn’t true. You tin (and should) use arsenic soon arsenic you judge that you are disabled. There is simply a mandatory waiting period, and you volition person benefits aft your sixth afloat period of disability. Once you commencement getting them, whether oregon not they are taxable depends connected your income.
The Bottom Line
You should use for Social Security disablement benefits arsenic soon arsenic you go disabled. The exertion process tin instrumentality 3 to 5 months, according to Social Security, and counts arsenic portion of the mandatory waiting play of 5 months aft the onset of your disability.
You tin use at the Social Security website or by calling 1-800-772-1213. Social Security has an online calculator that you tin usage to get an estimation of some status and disablement benefits for you and your household members.